Default Werner doesn't stand behind its paddles

OK, maybe I am being too harsh, since everyone things I'm nuts for
leaving my paddle in the cockpit of my kayak on the car. One thing
though - it seems like the resin coating is degraded evenly along the
entire shaft. If it was caused by sun, you'd think the center would be
worse because the blade end is deep inside the cockpit where one's feet
would be (i.e. more protected). Also, my backrest is homemade and I
fold it down over the paddle, covering about a foot's length of the
shaft. So that would protect it further.

Althoug it would be better for the kayak to be protected and not left
on the car, we do not have a garage (we live in a townhouse). In the
winter, they are stored in a friend's basement. I could take the kayas
off the car and put them in the grass alongside a patio, maybe covered
with a tarp, but I go kayaking about twice a week during the summer,
often alone, and it's a pain to take the kayak off the car and put it
back on 2 days later. Also I a sometimes spontaneous and decide to
leave work a litte early and go kayaking. If the kayak wasn't on my
car, I couldn't do that. I use the 505 UV protectant on the boats -
somehow never thought of putting it on the paddle. Up here (Vermont) it
seems lots of people leave their kayaks on their cars for extended
times.

One person asked if we used DEET. We don't.

Several people mentioned wet-sanding. Is that just what it sounds like
- making the paddle wet and then sanding it?

One person asked why I thought a product purchased at REI, EMS, or L.L.
Bean would stand up better. It wouldn't. But they have satisfaction
guarantees.

Jim Hill said "If I absolutely had to leave a boat exposed, I would at
least place them inside a hatch to protect them." I have doubts the
paddle would fit in the hatch, but I will see.

My second paddle (for 2nd boat) is a cheap, heavy paddle. I thought the
shaft was plastic, and I've never seen any degradation from the sun
even though it is twice as old as the Werner. But maybe it is aluminum
shaft...

Thanks for the advice. Sorry I was so hard on Werner. I did like the
paddle very much...

Cathy