Larry

Default Laptop trips GFI

w_tom wrote in :

First, to have a common mode noise (leakage), the computer
must have separate incoming and outgoing electrical paths.
Incoming is AC electric. What is the outgoing path?

The ground in the computer is hooked to the ground in the NMEA bus, the
printer through the printer cable, the computer's own troublesome charger.
Because of any NMEA connections, it's also connected to that AC battery
charger under the quarterberth, which is also hooked to AC ground.

How many paths does it need??

Second, leakage through a resistance is rare. Leakage
occurs more often through reactive devices. That means the
ohm meter will not measure leakage through components whose
conductivity increases with frequency and voltage. IOW these
leaks would appear as high resistance (notice I did not say
impedance) to the meter.

This troublesome computer has a 3-prong grounded power plug, so we may
assume it also has in input double pi line filter, or at least some disc
ceramics in the .01 to .05 uF range between "hot" and neutral and ground.
The ac current differential caused by the input filter's capacitors is more
than enough to cause trips, which is why I wanted him to first plug the
computer into a ground buster to eliminate the connection between the
computer power supply ground and the boat AC ground to isolate this type of
tripping. If the ground buster fixes the problem, he merely leaves it
plugged into the ground buster and goes about his business, occasionally
getting a tingle from the ground on the RS-232C shell, maybe. He'd be
fine.

Then, I was going to have him measure the voltage between the unconnected
ground pin and boat ground to see how hot it was. You can imagine the $24
switching power supply of the bargain laptop has nothing but the finest,
mil-spec line filter parts....totaling, probably, 10 cents, tops....

Third, all appliances have leakage. GFCI trip is not just
from one device. Sometimes it is leakage from numerous devices
combined. And yet the meter would test every device and see
no leakage from any of them.

Maybe nothing else is plugged into this OUTLET GFI. It could serve more
than one outlet from its internal terminals, though. The GFI outlet in my
bathroom services the AC outlet on the side of my house, too.

Notice - without numbers then one can only speculate.

Everything we do on this newsgroup is speculation...an exchange of guesses
and ideas that usually come up with a solution or prod the asking party
into taking a different path to the solution than the one he was taking....