Default Earthing on boats

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:45:36 +0100, "davew"
wrote:

Hi,

A friend that's just boaugh a canal boat is 'doing' it up and is worried
about the
electrics and has heard that boats use positive earth so he's asked me for
advice.
I know about electronics & house wiring (well a bit anyway) but have never
considered this on a boat where he'd like to have a computer TV etc....

Now considering I was going to help him sort the electrics out what else
should I know that's differant from 'Land' electrics I tried searching for a
helpful
UK website but none found.

Any pointers

thanks

Steel Canal boats should be wired with all switching in the positive
line, an insulated negative return,but with battery negative bonded to
the hull at one point..
Blocking diodes for split charging are best avoided.
Bear in mind that all wiring will be 12 or 24 volts and conductor
cross sectional area is important and should be fully assessed based
upon the length of the run.
Methinks that you have not searched very much! There is a wealth of
info out there on the web..
uk.rec.waterways is the best group for asking questions.
12v (typ) electrics on a boat are VERY easy to get wrong!!!!!!
Your friends best bet is to get a good marine electrician to spec the
system, then you could wire if you wish.
Just my 2 pennorth

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Glos+Sharpness Canal UK