johnhh

Default Laptop trips GFI

Thanks, it's the laptop and only the laptop. The only thing I haven't tried
yet is another GI outlet. I need to remember to bring the thing home to do
that. At any rate, it is only a minor inconvenience that will go away after
I wire up the 12v supply I have for it. I just find it curious.

John

"chuck" wrote in message
ink.net...
Obvious questions:

I assume you have GFI outlets and not a GFI breaker.

Anything else plugged in to that outlet when the computer trips the GFI?

Is anything else plugged into the laptop when the GFI trips? SSB? radio?
printer? NMEA stuff?

Have you tested the GFI with the "test" button?

Have you tried the laptop in other GFI outlets?

The only thing that is supposed to trip one is a differential current in
the hot and neutral wires. The unequal current is almost always because
the appliance has found an additional return path through its grounding
conductor back to the service entrance. If such a problem exists with your
laptop, it should be corrected. Alternatively, a new GFI outlet might cure
the problem.

Good luck!

Chuck

johnhh wrote:
All of my 110 outlets on the boat are protected through GFI. Whenever I
plug my laptop charger in or turn on the computer with it plugged in, it
trips the GFI. If I reset it a time or two or three, it will hold and
work fine until the next time. Interestingly, it will even trip the GFI
on a parallel circuit. I am guessing that it has something to do with
the large capacitor in the charging unit charging up. Does anyone have
an explanation and/or solution?

thanks
john