Jack Erbes

Default AIS anyone ?

Doug wrote:

The Navy used moonbounce communications back in the 70s...a dish on a
modified gun mount with a TV camera pointed at the moonlight at the
feedhorn...the gun mount moved to keep the camera on the brightest light and
the dish remained on target for moonbounce regardless of ship rolls. Off
course when the moon went below the horizon, communications ceased.
I bet Jack in Maine remembers this system.

Let's see, in the 70's I was on shore duty in The Philippines, then
Spain, and then California. Did some sea duty during those times but
don't think I ever saw that system.

Some OF THE things from the "good old days" are not as good as what we
have now. I guess nostalgia is the only thing that is as good as it
used to be.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)