Old Boat Goat

Default 6v53 fuel burn rate

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Don,
It is a shame. I love 6V53s. I have rebuilt many Detroits and the 6V53 is
my favorite. They are built like a Swiss watch. I have a 3-53 as an aux in
my sailboat.
Steve

Yeah, I know of which you speak. Nice simple injection system, durable and
parts available (or robbable) anywhere. I think of them as the Land Rover of
diesels, parts from a '40s 53 series will fit an '80s 53 series. Try that
with a Cat, Cummins or Volvo. 3/4" & 9/16" pretty much the only wrenches you
need. I was once at an old, abandonned Dew line site on the Beaufort Sea.
The powerhouse still had the carcasses of two Detroits sitting in their
beds, pretty much intact. Detroits don't fit well into a snowmobile or
little tin boats, I guess. I wish I had a 2- or 3-53 in my boat. I've got a
20hp Sabb (not Saab) with v.p. prop. Not enough poop to give you good
maneuvering, but better than using sweeps.

Don