Steve

Default safe breathing apparatus for lead, epoxy, etc. ?

I agree with this recommendation. Prior to retirement, I had work crews who
regularly used these 3M half face, reusable masks. Depending on the type of
dust they might encounter, they were issued appropriate filter elements. The
could even use these masks, with the right filter, for asbestos dust.
(however, in these situations, they were fully clothed in disposable
coveralls caps and boots.)

If your going to encounter anything like asbestos, it is best to turn the
job over to the Pros. Not that it is that difficult, but the is tremendous
scrutiny by local agencies and potential for citations/fines for violating
the rules. (cost me $4000 for removing floor tiles the contained microscopic
"non-friable" asbestos particles. We had taken all the appropriate
precautions but had failed to notify one of the local air quality control
agencies.)

Oh! I'm glad I'm retired but there are still plenty of opportunity for the
individual boat owner to get in trouble when DIY.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW
--

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Courtney,

You may consider buying a 3M mask. I bought a 6000 series mask
(re-usable)some three years ago, on which one may attach dust filters
(various particulate sizes), but also gas and vapour filters.
The re-usable mask (half face) costs about EUR 60 if I recall well; the
gas filters will probably cost some EUR 40 (inform at your local
supplier).
Although I wear spectacles, I do not find the mask annoying.
Hint: Although the gas filters (I believe they're filled with some
active carbon) are supposed to last for a ltd timespan only, you may
boost their life by storing them in a Tupperware-like box.
I hope it helps you,
kind regards,

Arjen Mulder.