Bruce in Alaska

Default Ham license issue

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

I got a marine radiotelephone operators license (I think that's what
they called it, you know, the one you get by sending in a cereal box
top and a small check to the FCC) in 1980. If I can find it, is it
still valid?

Marine Radiotelephone Operators Permits are renewable and good for 5
years, last time I looked. (admittedly a few years back) What I suspect,
you are refering to is a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit,
which is a Lifetime Permit. The difference is that the MROP is required
for operation of a Ship Station aboard a Commercial Vessel, or a
Coast Station, and a RROP is for all noncommercial operations, internal
and external, to US Contiguious Waters. Of course, Alaska Operations
have a Special Exemption to all Operator Licensing Rules, go figure....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @