Gordon

Default where2 get cheap sounding lead ?

Printed circuit card assembly involves heating a large amount of solder
(60/40) in a large pot with heaters and a pump in the bottom. This solder
melts just under 500F. It is held at 500 by the temperature controller via
the heaters. When the pump is turned on, the solder surges up thru some
screens, out the top of an opening making a solder wave. The printed circut
card is on a conveyer and passes over the wave thus soldering the leads to
the traces. And guess what. No lead fumes! As even Grandma has admitted.
Why? Because the heat is not high enuf!
Now, I don't know the alloy, if any, used in wheel weights and I don't
know the actual melting temp. But I do know it is not high enuf to make lead
fumes.
Are there other dangers? You bet.
Spilling molten solder on yourself could really ruin your day!
Also wheel weights leave behind the little metal clips and lots of dross.
This all floats and needs to be fished out before pouring. Another good way
to get a nasty burn.
So, you do as you see fit and I'll do my thing and why don't we leave it
at that. ')

Gordon
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Dave wrote:

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 03:41:42 GMT, Rosalie B.
said:

So more heat
being applied WILL result in higher temperatures than less heat.

I'm afraid your physics is faulty.

I'm not surprised. I've never had any physics. Probably the terms
I'm using are wrong

I know that if I have a lot of something to melt or defrost, I have
to apply heat for a longer time, or apply higher heat than if I have
just a little bit or if the stuff is short and fat (like a turkey)
rather than long and skinny like a french fry (or a coil of solder).

And the part on the edges (like the skin of the turkey) will melt or
defrost first and get hotter than the stuff in the middle (like the
giblets) which are still cold and un melted or un defrosted..

If I heat something up in a pan, the stuff on the edges will get hot
and start to bubble first. It seems to me that the part of a liquid
or a solid that one is trying to liquefy that gets hot first would put
out moisture (in the case of water) or fume (in the case of metal)
while the part in the middle was still getting hot.

grandma Rosalie