sv Endeavor

Default Which feathering prop?

Hello Glen,
My suggestion is to look at the Flex-o-Fold prop. It is an interesting
design with great customer suport from Chuck Angle who is the North American
distributor located in Marblehead, MA. He should be at the Annapolis show.

I had a Max Prop-2 blade and found that it's performance was ok in forward
but woefully inadequate in reverse. I have a Paragon transmission (direct
drive) that runs thru a Walters Vee drive. The reduction in forward is 2:1
(via the vee-drive) at the shaft, But in reverse the reduction is 4:1 (2:1
at the vee-drive plus 2:1 at the Paragon)! The two blade Max Prop, in
reverse would turn at 500 rpm at 2000 engine rpm and 750 rpm at 3000 engine
rpm. Backing down was a crap shoot. I replaced the two blade Max Prop with
a three blade Flex-o-Fold two seasons ago and am amazed at the increased
control in reverse-even with the idyosycracies of the Paragon/Vee drive
reductions.
An added advantage is that the prop is folding vs. feathering...I haven't
snagged a lobster pot with the new prop. I've snagged numerous pot warps
with the previous prop.

By way of example, with a three bladeFlex-o-fold 17x16 I can stop the boat
in 18 seconds from a speed of 5 knots with a reverse rpm of 2200-2500 and
shaft rpm of ~ 600. Bringing the boat to a complete stop with the previous
prop was a joke.

Just my opinion

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I am headed for Annapolis Thursday at o'dark thirty. One priority is to
find a 3 bladed feathering prop. The candidates a Martec Auto Stream ,
MaxProp, VariProp and Gori.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of them? Any others you
would recommend I look at?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com