Default Anybody tried glueing cast aluminum parts together with epoxy?

My outboard, 20hp Honda, jumped off my transom yesterday and hit the
pavement at 20-25mph. No critical damage but knocked a gapping hole,
the size of a golf ball, in the cast aluminum lower pan, the one below
the power head, next to the tiller handle. Fortunately, I have the
knocked out piece and it fits back in the hole perfectly. My first
thought was to have it tig welded. But it's in a really tight place
and I doubt I'd get a good weld without removing the pan which means
taking the whole power head off. I could tack weld it but that'd leave
a crack that could leak splashing water, not to mention look kinda bad
(as if it doesn't look bad enough).
So now I'm thinking about just using epoxy to glue it in. Mind you,
it doesn't need to be terribly strong. On the other hand, I don't want
it to fall out by just jostling either.
Anybody ever tried epoxy to glue cast aluminum parts back together?
How well will it hold? And for how long?
Thanks in advance,
Phantman