William R. Watt

Default Resin Injection into soft wood

DSK ) writes:

It's also not rec.boats.building.envious-bloviator; neither is this
newsgroup named rec.boats.pore-mouth-skinflint

Now, now, I just happen to have enough free cash sitting in money market
funds to go out tomorrow and buy two boats the like of which GA has spent
so much of his life enjoyably bulding, not to mention his useful and
interesting experiments on the strength and durability of boatbuilding
materials. I chose not to. There are savers and there are consumers, and
on the Last Day of Judgement the savers will be Saved and the consumers
will be Comsumed in a rather nasty and unpleasant manner.

Perhaps a way to approach the subject of rot-doctoring, we should begin
with "using thinned epoxy to saturate the wood is perhaps slightly
better than just sailing it anyway, letting it rot until it sinks" ...
and then going on to establish a range of possible actions, ranked by
cost effectiveness & final strength & longevity; from using epoxy and
adding some glass, on up thru a complete maestro rebuild with angelic
blessings bestowed by the spirit of Herreshoff with commentary that only
a true robber baron can afford such a thing (just like the original).

Just so, except that I'll repeat what I've posted here before and that is
one should always chose the least cost solution which satisfies a
requirement. And that there is a tradeoff between construction cost and
maintence which depends on time and labour costs. In some cases low
maintnence is a requirment which justifies high contruction cost, in
others it isn't.

Unfortunately much of non-commercial boatbuilding is purely ostentatious
extravegance.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm