DSK

Default How to Choose the Right Used Boat to Fix It Up?

wrote:
I am looking for a small powered boat for fishing. I think I know what
I need: A 17-ft/18-ft small center console that is made in aluminum or
fiberglass. I have been using rental boats for years. I need a boat for
myself that I can rig it to the way that I want.

Now I see, I thought you were going after a bigger more complex boat.

.... A lot of
what's said around the docks on this subject is old wives tales and
utter nonsense.

In other words, I am better off examining the boat itself instead of
worrying about too much of its production year: Knocking around the
hull to see how much repair work that the boat will need ... etc. And I
need to keep an open mind with used boats, and don't be too quick in
eliminating a boat just because it was old or it was built in certain
years.

Sound like a workable plan to me. Thanks.

You're welcome, sorry I can't be more help.
One piece of generic advice... types/brands boats seem to build
reputations in sort of the same way sports teams do... ie parallel
tracks, one having to do with reality and the other arising entirely
from wishful thinking on the part of the fans. Everyone will love to
tell you how great their boat is... this is a good source of info about
that type of boat as long as you can seperate out the two types of info.
Holds true for fishing boats as well as sail boats.

Fair Skies
Doug King