Default Does This Make Sense to Buy a 19-Year Old Outboard Motor?

Most service centers have a cut off point for working
on "ancient" outboards ... Locally, the cut off for
all brands is 1990 - sixteen years. ... you could
probably work on it yourself.

The real issue is how good is the engine. ... Have
them check the top end first, compression, spark, etc.
If it's good, then move on to the lower unit ... if
the engine tests good, it makes sense to purchase
the engine.

Thanks for the info. This means the old motor is still good if the
mechanic have checked it out and given it an OK. This sounds good.

But then when I bring it back home, I likely need to tune it up myself
because that mechanical may not want to work on the old motor (the
motor is older than the cut off point). This doesn't sound good because
I am not handy in fixing gas engine.

This means if someone knows how to work with motor, he should be OK
with getting an old motor. However, if that person (like me) only knows
doing regular maintenance but not more than that, he probably should
not get an old motor. OK, now I know what to do... Thanks for the info.

As to remans, they are available for this engine in short or long
block varieties.

I assume you are referring to motor that has been rebuilt. But I don't
know what is the significance of "short and long block".

Jay Chan