Default A Recreational Boating Message

Skipper wrote:
wrote:

How about the one featuring the aeronautical engineer from KS who
trailered his 22-foot Bayliner down to Mexico, lashed a row of gas cans
to the gunwale (to ensure adequate range for the crossing), and set out
across the same waters?

Yep, did that many times...Great adventures!!! Learned a lot about
remote areas of the Cortez on those trips.

Don't leave out the part where a "torito" blew up and the brave
skipper was alone against the sea, battling monster waves and
hurricane force winds. Only by combining the "purpose built" nature
of his craft, his instinctive seamanship, his iron nerve, and the
sal****er in his veins did the stalwart armchair admiral manage to
bring himself and his boat through the storm unscathed. No lesser
man and no other 22-foot boat wouldn't have stood a chance in those
hurricane force winds.

To be accurate, that storm was encountered in a *sailboat* several
decades ago, not that very capable 22-footer. And let us not forget that
one of the crew went into shock, or that the companion boat was knocked
down during the storm. But then, I suspect you already knew those
details before you composed your post.

(Truly, I wouldn't want to try defying a hurricane in my 36-foot
boat....)

Nor would I in that barge of yours. Those windows, that high center of
gravity...blech. It's really just a "boat" built for protected waters,
is it not?

It's a really exciting story, and of all of the Skipper Classics
regarding the Gulf of California, that is certainly my personal
favorite.

Pleased you enjoy reading about real adventures.

It's also the only original work in the batch, rather than a cut
'n paste. It would be a shame to leave it out of this latest series.

Those adventures were real. Do you have any comparable, Chucky? My
impression was that you were a wannabe and only indulged in local
waters.

--
Skipper

We must be thinking about two different stories. I recall a post about
"Toritos" years ago, and when the OP began taking a lot of flack from
others in the group about the phenomenon he then embellished the tale
with the disclosure that he had braved such a storm in a Bayliner. Hey,
must knota been the guy I'm thinking of.....was very likely somebody
else.