Don White

Default A Recreational Boating Message

wrote:
Good tale. Thanks for posting it.

How about the one featuring the aeronautical engineer from KS who
trailered his 22-foot Bayliner down to Mexico, lashed a row of gas cans
to the gunwale (to ensure adequate range for the crossing), and set out
across the same waters? Don't leave out the part where a "torito" blew
up and the brave skipper was alone against the sea, battling monster
waves and hurricane force winds. Only by combining the "purpose built"
nature of his craft, his instinctive seamanship, his iron nerve, and
the sal****er in his veins did the stalwart armchair admiral manage to
bring himself and his boat through the storm unscathed. No lesser man
and no other 22-foot boat wouldn't have stood a chance in those
hurricane force winds. (Truly, I wouldn't want to try defying a
hurricane in my 36-foot boat....) It's a really exciting story, and of
all of the Skipper Classics regarding the Gulf of California, that is
certainly my personal favorite. It's also the only original work in the
batch, rather than a cut 'n paste. It would be a shame to leave it out
of this latest series. Any newcomers to the group would certainly be
able to learn a few things if that story were to reappear here. :-)

That's the kind of yarn we could make a movie out of.....instead of
Skipper at the wheel..it would be Peter Pan.
Anybody willing to finance such an endeavor?