noah

Default Trolling motor = need fuse?

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:37:57 GMT, "n0sPaM"
wrote:

I have a Mini Kota trolling motor 30 thrust, not sure if that thing comes
with Fuse. Do I have to cut the +ve red cable and add a fuse? How many Amp
do I need?

The package comes with 2 terminals +ve and -ve rings which clamp to the
battery, so the manufacture doesn't assume people to add fuse? Will the
deep cycle battery blow up when overheat due to short circuit?

N.S.

Hmmm....I thought I posted a reply to this, but it's not there. Sorry
if this doubles-up.

If you are connecting your trolling motor directly to a battery with
the clamps that come with the trolling motor (as in a rowboat or other
boat where the trolling motor clamps to the transom), you do not
"need" a fuse. If you are using "built in" concealed boat wiring, you
*need* a fuse.

Having said that, a properly sized fuse is never a bad idea, and in
the event of a problem, could save your trolling motor or prevent a
fire. I have used "clamp on" motors for years without fusing. Now
that my toys cost more, and I am a little older and more careful, I
fuse them.

Happy boating.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,