Doug Kanter

Default OK a for real boat question

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message
news

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"DSK" wrote in message
Jim, wrote:
I'm looking at a deal on an aluminum boat -- price is good, BUT
somewhere along the line someone painted it (don't know if oil or
latex) with a BRUSH!. What's a good cheap, and safe way to remove
paint from aluminum?

If they did that, they probably didn't prep it very well either. It'll
flake off on it's own in a year or two, tops.

Aluminum is nice because it's lighter than steel and doesn't rust. But
it does have an issue with electrolysis. Any galvanic corrosion... bad
ground, stray current... can eat a hole thru it in almost no time flat.
A penny dropped in the bilge will go thru 1/4" aluminum in about 2
weeks. So if your prospective boat has an electrical system, check it
out very carefully and note the cost of any needed repairs/upgrades.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Even in fresh water??? If yes, I'm shaking down all my passengers for
spare change from now on.

Typica liberal, squeeze everything out of them and throw them away!

Quiet, meat sock.