Garth Almgren

Default Coast Guard turning over lighthouse operation to local govts??

Around 10/11/2005 4:48 PM, wrote:

Here's an interesting item:

It appears that the West Point lighthouse is being gifted by the USCG
to the Seattle Parks Dept.

This is an active and important light.

I wonder if the city plans to assume operation of the light or if the
USCG will continue to maintain the nav. aid. (Like nearly all lights
these days,I believe the West Point Light is fully automated)

That's been happening a lot with area lighthouses. The Mukilteo
lighthouse grounds and buildings were leased to the city of Mukilteo in
1991, and given outright to the city in 2001. Though owned by the city,
the navigational equipment is still ostensibly maintained by the USCG.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=32

"Ostensibly" because about all the maintenance that is required is
washing the glass and occasionally changing one of the bulbs, and that
is probably handled by Mukilteo Historical Society volunteers.

Aside: My first Scoutmaster was the last CG assigned to and stationed at
the Mukilteo lighthouse. We used to have our Scout meetings in the
basement of Quarters B: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/mukilteo5.jpg

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing