Peter Aitken

Default Attaching reg # to hull

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:14:48 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

We just got the Coast Guard registration for the new boat. It seems we
have
to mark the registration number somewhere inside the hull so that it
cannot
be removed or altered without it being obvious. I'd like to do this
myself -
any suggestions as to how? THanks.

You mean documentation number, not registration.

From the USCG Documentation Center:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/faq.htm

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the
abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at
least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural
part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that
alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some
scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked
together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel
name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and
starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be
marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and
materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four
inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin
alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include
both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United
States. The state may be abbreviated.

Yes, thanks, I know all this - I am asking for a specific method to actually
affix the number to the hull.

--
Peter Aitken