John Gaquin

Default It could happen to you.

"DSK" wrote in message

Excuse me?
Did you just say the U.S. gov't does not subsidize the airline industry?

There was the one-time bailout following the terrorist attacks, which
legislation did include what you could call indirect subsidy in the form of
deferred tax payments, etc. These deferments have, I believe, all passed in
the intervening 4 years. There is also a small program to subsidize
essential air service to small rural communities, comprising some $120M per
annum, a statistical pittance of which, I believe, Southwest does not
partake. Generally speaking, though, the days are long gone when airlines
were broadly subsidized by federal money across the board.