thunder

Default It could happen to you.

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:11:55 -0400, Eisboch wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message

Try reading for content, I never said they couldn't set standards. I
said they are limited in the rules they can set. If the airline wanted
to ban the wearing of all tee-shirts, that would probably be legally
acceptable, business suicide, but legally acceptable. But that's not
what they did now, is it? They refused service to someone who was
wearing a particular tee-shirt, a tee-shirt that clearly was making a
political statement, a tee-shirt that is *probably* protected speech.
Very subjective, and, IMO that is where the problem lies.

The tee-shirt printing made a political statement, which is fine, but also
included a profanity that, to social standards supported by numerous court
findings, is not fine in a public venue. I did a long google on this one.
In every case that I found where a person who was refused entry or service
because of a printed profanity on their clothing, who then filed a civil
complaint to protect their " right to free expression" --- lost.

I can believe that. There is a difference when obscenity is involved. To
compound the problem, in my reading, some have asterisks placed. While
"Meet the Folkers" is clearly OK, is "Meet the F**kers"? Beats me, and to
be honest, I haven't been able to definitively find what the tee-shirt
actually said.

Practically, it is a common sense issue to me. Profanity is not shocking
or particularly offensive to me personally, however I don't think it is
appropriate around young children, my wife or others who may be influenced
or offended.

Nor do I, and the woman had options. She could have worn tee-shirt inside
out, and remained on the plane. In some ways, she chose to make this an
issue. Personally, I wouldn't have worn the tee-shirt, but then again, I
wouldn't have complained about her wearing either.

I also think that those who wear items like this in public places are self
absorbed with little respect for others or for standards of social
behavior.

Agreed, but . . . Freedom of Speech isn't important for speech that fits
into "standards of social behavior", it is important for speech that does
not.