Default OMC outdrives

JIMinFL wrote:
: Why did you buy this thing?
: The tilt mechanism and tilt motor are prone to failure$$$$$. The transom
: seal lasts only a few years$$$$$. You have to baby the ball gears or they
: will wear out$$$$$. Internal spline shafts rust out$$$$$. It's hard to keep
: these things sealed, but they dont seem to mind having a little water mixed
: with the gear oil. Water pumps last a long time but when they go$$$$$. Some
: of the steering systems are irreplaceable?????. Used replacement assemblies
: are$$$$$$$. Intermediate housings rot out$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. There aren't too
: many mechanics that will work on these things. OMC is out of business.
: JIMinFL

I don't believe what you have stated above.
I have a 1983 OMC outdrive that is of a very similar design. The transom
seal has *never* been replaced and is still working. The ball gears have
*never* been replaced and work fine.

I've had one failure that required me to take it to a mechanic in the last
23 years.

barry