JIMinFL

Default OMC outdrives

Why did you buy this thing?
The tilt mechanism and tilt motor are prone to failure$$$$$. The transom
seal lasts only a few years$$$$$. You have to baby the ball gears or they
will wear out$$$$$. Internal spline shafts rust out$$$$$. It's hard to keep
these things sealed, but they dont seem to mind having a little water mixed
with the gear oil. Water pumps last a long time but when they go$$$$$. Some
of the steering systems are irreplaceable?????. Used replacement assemblies
are$$$$$$$. Intermediate housings rot out$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. There aren't too
many mechanics that will work on these things. OMC is out of business.
JIMinFL
"dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just bought a 1978 Fiberform with a chev V8 and OMC outdrive. I've
owned several ocean boats in the past, but they always had either Merc
or Volvo outdrives. Is this OMC outdrive any good? I'm real insecure
with this thing and am considering changing over...but that is pretty
expensive so am looking for advice on keeping or getting rid of the OMC
outdrive.