JamesgangNC

Default OMC outdrives

There's a reason you don't see any more omc stringer drives :-)

wrote in message
roups.com...
dave wrote:
: Just bought a 1978 Fiberform with a chev V8 and OMC outdrive. I've
: owned several ocean boats in the past, but they always had either Merc
: or Volvo outdrives. Is this OMC outdrive any good? I'm real insecure
: with this thing and am considering changing over...but that is pretty
: expensive so am looking for advice on keeping or getting rid of the OMC
: outdrive.

With a 1978 boat, it'd cost you several times the boat's original cost to
replace the outdrive. The engine is pretty standard. The outdrive is
old,
like the boat but if you take care of it, it should last (annual gear oil
changes for example). I have a 1982 OMC and it's been reasonably reliable
(one spun spline shaft after about 20 years). It's an old boat and it'd
be way too expensive to change out the outdrive.

Additionally, OMC outdrives of that year are stringer mounted vs. transom
mounted as Mercruiser would be. You'd have one helluva hole to cover up
if you change to Mercruiser.

b.