Alan S

"jds" wrote in message
news:N%j0f.69$i%.10@fed1read07...
hi guys..went to a used boat show the other day. saw a 23 foot american
marine. clean boat, sails a bit worn but useable. looking for a boat to
learn to sail on. anyone ever heard of these critters??? pros, cons??
thanks for any input. regards, j.d.
Depending on the cost of the boat, worn sails could be an issue because
sails can be expensive. I went looking for info on this boat and not find
much (though I did not spend much time looking I will admit) and it is
important to know what you are buying when you go to buy a sailboat. Things
like boat displacement, ballast ratio, capsize ratio, keel type, beam
width, overall length, length of water line, type of auxiliary power (gas
or diesel) and hours on engine if known, sail area and types of sails that
come with the purchase, and boat layout (can you stand in it? how
comfortable will you sleep? ventilation for hot days? is the galley easy to
use? storage area? how easily can you walk from the stern to the bow? can
you see in all directions easily when piloting?) are just a few that come
to mind. As for the boat itself, you need to know when the last bottom job
was done, if the lifeline stanchions are solid where they connect to the
deck, if the deck has any soft places on it (very important), how well it
will single hand, any motor maintenance information if available, how much
water she takes and if so, where from (freshwater from rain? or is it
coming in through a through hole or faulty seacock or something) if the
window and hatch seals are in good shape, flooring condition, if the head
and holding tank are in good shape (check for leaks, functionality, and
stinky hoses) upholstery condition, condition of all sea cocks and hoses
coming from through holes, rigging condition (rigging replacement is
expensive) wood trim condition and so forth. Does it come with a trailer? A
survey can be done for you, they usually cost into the hundreds and are
worth it if you are not experienced with what to look for. Sometimes,
hidden things can make the difference between sailing and sinking. Your
best bet for learning to sail is to either find a sailor or group of
sailors in your area that can teach you how to sail the class of boat you
want to buy (and take some serious time to learn all about it) or to start
with a smaller boat as the last post suggested and learn yourself and
gradually move up to larger boats. A small boat will teach you a lot fast.
There are always good deals on sailboats if you shop for a while. Sailing
is a wonderful way of life and welcome to it, these groups are great
resources for sailors all over the world. I have some good sailing
resources posted on my Spirit 28 site he
http://www.spirit28.com/Resources.html if you want more information.

Cheers!

- A -