sded

Try http://www.seasidemarineintldrug.com/recreational.html for recreational
first aid kits and commercial kits-not cheap.
"Steve" wrote:

I thought I was doing the correct thing and purchased a commercial 1st aid
kit that was recommended for commercial/contractor work sites. Cost $100 and
when I broke the seal the 1st time for a band aid, I found the metal case
packed so tight that it was near impossible to return the package to it's
location. In the process I looked for a disinfectant to clean the minor
wound. None there. Not even any Iodine or medical scrub or alcohol. No
ointments for burns or bites. Just a hundred bucks worth of crap.

When I referred to the inventory list, I noted that almost everything was
intended to satisfy the needs until the PeraMedics arrive.

It was also obvious that this kit was intended for a service contract where
some cute little chick comes around once ever 3 months and refills/replaces
the expired aspirin package (for $35-$50).

However, it is "Approved" and "Required" to satisfy the Dept. of
Labor/Industry.

I don't recommend this approach (as you may have sensed).

The 1st Aid Kits at the West Marine aren't much better but they might be a
place to start (they have a nice colorful soft case). Then remove all the
redundant crap and have your local cruising sailor doctor help you fill a
list of "USEFUL" stuff.

Then add some good quality band aids of large and small sizes, large
adhesive patches.

Of the non 1st Aid stuff I recommend is skin care products (sun screen, lip
balm), sea sick patches (requires a prescription). I like to have a large
bottle of hydrogen peroxide and betadyne scrub to clean up wounds and the
surrounding area. Some really good burn ointment (your cruising doctor can
recommend this and a burn treatment procedure).

I haven't tried these yet, but I'm considering the chemical ice packs. I
haven't heard to much about these.

Some light sticks, although not medical, they would be helpful when all the
lights have failed.

Thermal blankets could be helpful.

Just a few of my thoughts, FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
news
Appreciatively,
Courtney

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0539-4, 10/02/2005
Tested on: 10/2/2005 5:05:57 PM