Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:49:30 +0000, Don White wrote:

The guy I used to crew with called tonight. Now he's checking out a
1967 Cal 34 from a neighbouring province.

SNIP
In the meantime, anyone familiar with the Cal 34?

I almost bought a C-34 when I bought Far Cove. And I had a Cal-25 for
years before that. I found the Cals were much heavier-built than the
modern Catalina/Hunter/Jeanneau... For instance, the bed in the forepeak
on my Cal was 3/4" ply, glassed over. In the Catalina, it's 1/4" glass.

Although they were built as racers in their day, they're no match for the
modern lightweight racer. OTOH, my little Cal 25 was quite at home in 6ft+
seas and 30-knot winds in Georgia Strait. Loved being heeled 30 degrees,
and still holds my personal record for Nanaimo to Vancouver.

Lots of Cal 34's have made the "big crossing" to Hawaii, Tahiti, etc.

Oh, and for help on that A4, try
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Atomic_4...vice/index.htm

He's forgottem more about A4's than most people know, and also sells
diesel replacements (He's where I got my Universal M25 for Far Cove)

Good Luck!
Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36