Larry

"bushman" wrote in
m:

Larry:
I think you are right that I do have injector issues

There's your overheat problem. The sooner you fix it, the sooner it will
stop overheating. Lionheart's 4-108 barely opens the thermostat, even at
WOT, now.

I didn't learn about this injection from boats. I have a 1973 Mercedes
220D taxi cab I restored. Before the restoration, at about 350,000 miles,
the engine ran about 85-90C in normal driving. When it was restored, the
mechanic said we should put on a rebuilt pump from an old German guy in
California who's been rebuilding them for 40 years. I agreed and am glad I
did. The restored engine gets 38mpg on a 5000# car and never reaches 80C
on a really hot South Carolina day with its AC running full open. Although
it's only 57hp, virtually the same size as the Perkins, at 70 mph it no
longer sounds labored cruising along. It has more power and doesn't smoke,
at all, until you're accelerating wide open. Injection timing is
controlled by a lambskin diaphram and a bellcrank to the throttle...totally
mechanical. I expect it to outlive me, easily.

--
Larry