ian .at.bendigo

A fine beer can be judged by one sip , but it's better to be sure
"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 09:41:03 GMT, "ian .at.bendigo"
wrote:

Have you tried the Blacksmith forums , you don't say how big your bolts

have
to be , Iron bolts are not difficult to make they can be made in a

charcoal
puddling furnace , no rocket science really just Blacksmithing , a rough
sketch is ; a small pottery furnace but with a oval well in the bottom

bits
of scrap steel and heaps of charcoal a buffalow forge blower when the

shot
starts to melt a steel puddling bar is thrust into the melt , it isn't
really fluid but a thick sticky mass , the pudling bar is rolled side to
side and the sticky mass sticks to it , when enough material for the job

in
hand has built up it is withdrawn and a power hammer does the rest in a
process called "drawing out" Blacksmiths do this process a lot .
Check out "Bramble Bush" forums , I have a book somewhere I will see if I
can find it , my email (remove all

the
nospam) Cheers Ian in Bendigo Lat. 36;44;22 S Lon 144;19;47 E

Nice post! Exotic topic, any more - sounds like wrought iron
toys from a scrap carriage would do it, skipping the puddling step.
I couldn't give a collection of parts from a trap away a year or two
ago. Still mouldering in the long grass....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Brian I don't think so , the bolts I have seen on cast iron keels are
usually one inch plus !! now if the bolts in your trap are that big it
either comes from Texas or it's a "Road Train Trap" !!!!! Cheers Ian in
Bendigo Oz