rhys

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:27:06 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Now our skipper is getting me interested.
Here's the latest sailboat he's interested in... a 1966 Bristol 32.
I'd appreciate any comments from those familiar with this model.
http://tinyurl.com/7rlj4

thanks again for all who have offered comments on the Hughes 36 and the
Cal 34

That's a fine boat for 40 years ago...by which I mean to indicate that
the number of owners, their pride in appearance and maintenance, and
their general skill in keeping the boat in seaworthy and in current
(wiring, seacocks, head, plumbing, rigging) fashion will make all the
difference. These were also Atomic 4 powered...if it's had 40 years of
salt water through it, you'll likely need a new engine, unless it has
closed anti-freeze cooling. Note also that this has to be one of the
first Bristol 32s if it's really 1966...that could mean high quality
before "economies of scale" kicked in, or it could be "factory was
still getting the bugs out. Caveat emptor. The ad is completely
unforthcoming, which is not reassuring.

I see '70s C&Cs in both factory condition and very beat up...but they
almost all have rotting decks due to the hereditary flaw in C&C
manufacturing and design. This Bristol probably has something more or
less wrong with it, but it may not be "fatal" wrong to everyone.

Rotting stringers, for instance, spell "huge discount" to me, because
I know how to fix it and that it's going to be a messy, dirty job. But
"rotten deck core" or "rusting frames on a steel boat" or "obviously
been half-sunk" spell "leave it for the next chump" to me, because
fixing those kinds of problems are just too masochistic for my taste.

The Bristol 32 itself is old-school, full of trim needing varnish and
would make a good liveaboard for a divorced 55 year old living with a
cat, a crate of whisky and no clue as to what's happened, but maybe
it's something chin stubble and a fisherman's cap can solve. But
unless you are crossing an ocean, I'll wager the narrow beam, the
short waterline and pinched IOR stern wouldn't make a particularly
fast boat. But I bet it points high and reaches well, and provides a
smooth ride.

R.