RG

Default does anyone talk about BOATS here, ever?

No one is looking in a mirror here. I've been around this NG since
1998, and it used to be I couldn't wait to log in every day and see
what was being discussed. It was awesome at one time. I rarely login
here anymore. No one's crying, it's just a fact. This NG has been
ruined by too many posts and too few contributions on the topic of
boating.

I've seen many times where valuable contributors have had enough and
said so, only to be ridiculed and told where to go. There are many
names from years ago that don't post here anymore, but I see thier
names on other forums, and they are like old friends: On topic and
ready to share.

I go back at least that far as well, and like you, really used to enjoy my
time spent here. Truly sad how polluted this (virtual) place has become.
Amazing how just a few insects can destroy so much harvest. I don't know
which is more pathetic; that these assholes consider this place their
personal playground to post their bull**** without regard to the stated
subject matter of the forum, or that they actually think anybody really
gives a flying **** about their political opinions. It's not about cabin
fever in the winter. It's not about conversations that you would likely
hear on the docks at your marina. These are two common red herrings offered
to absolve guilt. It's really about extremely small people with delusions
of self-importance that in actuality are so incredibly boring that nobody
anywhere else will listen to them. How wretched is that for an existence?

It's interesting that one of the more prolific regulars who potentially had
some of the most to offer in boating-related topic, also had a tendency to
feel the need to regularly sermonize with his political beliefs. Of course,
I'm referring to Chuck Gould. Chuck is connected to boating in more ways
than most of us would ever hope to be, and always had meaningful insights,
when he chose to stay on topic. But at least he opted to take the high road
and took a powder, apparently considering himself more a part of the problem
rather than part of the solution. Unfortunately, his challenge to other OT
posters to do the same was universally ignored. And he's only one example
of many savvy contributors who simply don't bother to show up any more for
obvious reasons. Jeez, they've been gone so long, I can't even remember
most of their names. Now, most of the prolific posters that we have left
couldn't float an intelligent boating-related thought if their life depended
upon it. So, I'm afraid that the outlook for rec.boats isn't very
promising. It would appear that the less of a real life you have, the more
time and inclination you have to defile this place, resulting in the current
signal to noise ratio.