Peter Clinch

Bernie Inakayak wrote:
What is it about them that means they're not for beginners Peter?

I think you misread my post: "they're not just for beginners!"
^^^^
They are particularly "for" beginners to some degree because if you
spend any time teaching rolling you'll see quite a few of the early
attempts in a pool are characterised by poling off the bottom of the
pool despite an intention to be sweeping the blade around on the surface.

If you're trying (as is usually the case) to roll up off the water then
using the bottom is a failure of sorts, but as has been pointed out, if
you get up then you're up and never mind the Style Points, at least you
can breathe now!

My point was that although punting off the bottom is more typically a
beginnery thing, experienced people will sometimes use them too.

So don't worry!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK