Coz

It's a silly question.

Thats really helpful - what exactly would compel you to waste your time
posting that ?

Gordon:

In my opinion (which is what you asked for) ALL Catalinas (up until the
past few years which I cant comment on because I have not sailed them) , are
mediocre sailers at best. They are not the worst (Buccaneer, Reinell), and
they are not the best. They are however generally well built and seem to
last a long time.

Cal 20's were probably one of the most popular boats EVER in that size
range in my neck of the woods - personally, i dont like them, they are very
small inside, but they do sail reasonably well (slightly better i would say
than the catalina).

If u want new - hunter makes some trailerables , in paricular a 25 that is
quite a nice boat. Again, hunter not known for tremendous sailing
characteristics, but they perform probably better than the older cals and
catalinas. Catalina also makes some 22-25's 'new' as well, that probably
are about the same as the hunter for performance. The fact is the newer
boats, even the ones that arent as 'racy' designs, are still better sailers
than the older ones, just due to the technology advances.

In our area, the MacGregor is amazingly popular trailerable boat - I had a
friend who owned one and despite the fact that I wanted to hate it - it was
actually not so bad... Not the best sailor in the world, but certainly
wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Its 26 feet though and pretty
big when towing - but it is quite light.