Larry

"mickey" wrote in
oups.com:

Granted it's late, but I don't really get what you're saying so I must
not have made myself clear. The Heat exchanger is on the engine, and
the only reason the loop is there is because of the water heater.

Oh, I thought you were saying all the cooling water went through the water
heater and it wouldn't have cooling if you closed off that line entirely.
I was saying those hoses were simply extra and not part of the cooling
plumbing other than to be teed into them, like a car heater.

I'm sure they're both plumbed the same. The old engine and this
replacement that came out of someone's sloop were plumbed the same.
Lionheart has a shaft alternator so we leave the shaft turning under sail
all the time to charge the beasts (four L-16s). So, we kept the larger
hydraulic transmission from the old engine in the boat, thinking the
smaller transmission wasn't meant to be free wheeled all the time. The
hoses connected on the engine to the same spigots.

--
Larry

Now I have this terrible hankering to go to the marina and play around in
her bilge this weekend....(c;