Garth Almgren

Around 9/28/2005 7:12 AM, DSK wrote:

JamesgangNC wrote:

LD wrote:

If you really like the boat and it suits your needs, look into other
options. take a look at http://www.transomrepair.com/

That's an intersting idea for transom repair.

I especially like the first step: "completely remove all rotted wood."
Nice & simple.

Heh.

... The traditional method is to completely cut away the inside
fiberglass but if you can dig the wood out without doing that it would
be a lot simpler.

Yes, maybe some kind of double rotary cutting head on an extra long
Dremel, with a vacuum hose attachment?

Didn't I read somewhere on that site that those guys are looking at
making a special chainsaw attachment?

They have pictures of themselves using a regular chainsaw
http://www.transomrepair.com/transom/chainsawing.jpg, but you would
really have to know what you're doing so that you wouldn't cut through
anything you didn't want to.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just saw off the transom from the
outside, re-core it, and fiberglass it back on.

Inside! If you do it from the outside, it'll be almost impossible to
hide the work. It'd take more than just a little refinishing...

This can be done with
the result being stronger than new and only very slightly heavier
(lighter if you use new hi-tech cloth for the tabbing)... and with a
little refinishing, will look better than new, too.

... Unfortunatly the floor has to be removed to repair stringers.

Yeah, it'd be easier to gut the boat. Give you a good chance to re-wire
it, too.

Yup.

Sometimes I completely understand the urge to just build the whole boat
from scratch.

It is nice to have the shell of a good hull to work with...

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing