LD

I did mine two years ago. Most of the wood was so rotten it came out with a
shopvac w/1/2" conduit duct taped to the vac. I also know someone who
removed some a little tougher with a chain saw! I didn't use the SeaCast
but used a local supplier and saved a lot of money using their resin and
filler (marketed for boats) which was a mix of 1" glass fibers, calcium
silicate and a foaming agent. End result was about the density of oak and
will outlast all of us. Fortunately, I didn't have to do anything with the
stringers except plug the end at the transom. I did this by drilling a 3/16
or 1/4" hole through the transom and squirting some of the expanding
urethane foam to plug them. If you must redo the stringers, then I guess
the floor must come off or maybe like you said, cut off the transom for
access and somehow clean out and pour the stringers (by pointing the bow
down hill?)
If anyone's interested, I took pics and would be glad to send.
LD

"DSK" wrote in message
If you really like the boat and it suits your needs, look into other
options. take a look at http://www.transomrepair.com/

JamesgangNC wrote:
That's an intersting idea for transom repair.

I especially like the first step: "completely remove all rotted wood."
Nice & simple.

... The traditional method is to
completely cut away the inside fiberglass but if you can dig the wood

out
without doing that it would be a lot simpler.

Yes, maybe some kind of double rotary cutting head on an extra long
Dremel, with a vacuum hose attachment?

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just saw off the transom from the
outside, re-core it, and fiberglass it back on. This can be done with
the result being stronger than new and only very slightly heavier
(lighter if you use new hi-tech cloth for the tabbing)... and with a
little refinishing, will look better than new, too.

... Unfortunatly the floor has to
be removed to repair stringers.

Yeah, it'd be easier to gut the boat. Give you a good chance to re-wire
it, too.

Sometimes I completely understand the urge to just build the whole boat
from scratch.

Fair Skies
Doug King