DSK

If you really like the boat and it suits your needs, look into other
options. take a look at http://www.transomrepair.com/

JamesgangNC wrote:
That's an intersting idea for transom repair.

I especially like the first step: "completely remove all rotted wood."
Nice & simple.

... The traditional method is to
completely cut away the inside fiberglass but if you can dig the wood out
without doing that it would be a lot simpler.

Yes, maybe some kind of double rotary cutting head on an extra long
Dremel, with a vacuum hose attachment?

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just saw off the transom from the
outside, re-core it, and fiberglass it back on. This can be done with
the result being stronger than new and only very slightly heavier
(lighter if you use new hi-tech cloth for the tabbing)... and with a
little refinishing, will look better than new, too.

... Unfortunatly the floor has to
be removed to repair stringers.

Yeah, it'd be easier to gut the boat. Give you a good chance to re-wire
it, too.

Sometimes I completely understand the urge to just build the whole boat
from scratch.

Fair Skies
Doug King