Larry

"bushman" wrote in
m:

Thanks again - Allen

Armed with all this new information, let me ask you how bad does it smoke?
Black or white smoke?

You've eliminated all the cooling system problems I know of in this simple
diesel. Now, I'm wondering if you don't have an injection issue or an
overloading problem....

I assume this prop used to work fine and didn't overheat the engine, right?
Has anyone been under the boat to see how bad the prop is fouled?

When you rev it up with the transmission disengaged, does it rev up much
better than when it's engaged?

An observation we all made after Cutter Doc in Daytona worked on the
injectors was how much COOLER the engine ran. I'm talking about 30 degrees
cooler! All that was done was to fix the injectors, besides getting the
seawater out of it. It still just opens the thermostat even if you run it
wide open throttle! Does yours seem to knock harder than usual, an
indication of bad spray pattern on the injector? Has anyone checked the
injection TIMING on the Perkins?

This injector difference also showed up on another friend's Hatteras 56
with twin 8V92TAs in it. One engine ran hotter than the other and the
thermostats had been in it quite a while so I changed them. Didn't change
the problem. I noticed the port engine seemed to labor more than starboard
and ran hotter. The diver said everything under the boat was fine when he
cleaned the Charleston off her. We got a diesel shop to pull the injectors
and take them in to test them. One of the injectors on that port engine
wasn't spraying properly and the TIMING was out of specs! They replaced
the bad injector and reset the timing and the engines sync'd better and
pulled more evenly. Both engine temp guages in the engine room and at the
helms were even after that.

--
Larry