William R. Watt

) writes:
They were my first boat projects and I had no idea how bad the stuff
was. Most of the voids are invisible until you suddenly find a weak
spot. I built a nesting dinghy from 1/4' marine ply and am very happy
with it.

You can actually find the voids in lauan underlayment by shining a strong
light on it. I ran a small lamp with a metal shade which concentrated
the light over it. The voids show up as red streaks.

I can't find lauan underlayment locally any more. They sell meranti, which
is better quality with no surface checks or edge voids, or virola
which is light and flexible but more suceptable to rot.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm