Glenn Ashmore

As Johnathan said. You got it bassackards. Apply the epoxy first. You
might even consider encapsulating the parts in two coast of epoxy before
assembly. That will protect the hidden edges should the finish coats crack
when a joint flexes a little. Then you can finish it how ever you want.
Use a UV resistant varnish if you are finishing it bright so the sunlight
won't degrade the epoxy.

OTOH, I think it may depend on the wood. An old geezer down the creek from
me built a grist mill powered by a 10' wheel. All unfinished heart pine.
It has been running for almost 60 years. It is covered in moss but I don't
think he has ever had to replace a board.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I build Water Wheels and sell them. However, I am no expert at using
epoxy and various protective finishers & Sealers for Wood. I use 3/4
inch Marine Plywood for my 4ft Water Wheel (with 12mm Marine Ply used
for Water buckets) and 1/2 inch for my 3ft and 2ft WaterWheels (with
9mm Marine Ply used for the Water Buckets). Can anyone recommend some
products to use to seal & finish my Water Wheels decoratively and I
would be most greatful if you could provide a good method of
application. Currently, I just sand the wood, apply the paint undercoat
and whatever color paint onto that and finally applying the epoxy to
seal it.

Any suggestions or ideas welcome. For reference, please see
www.irishwaterwheels.com.

Thanks in advance.