Len

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:44:48 -0700, Tamaroak
wrote:

I'm going to take my Cummins turbo-diesel powered trawler on the Great
Loop next summer, meaning I will be in some warm places where things
might grow in my tanks. I also read all sorts of ads indicating I need
stuff in my fuel to clean injectors, increase cetane, clean carbon,
reduce wear, increase mileage, etc.

Is any of this true? What do I really need to add to my fuel?

Capt. Jeff

My 2cts: I don't use additions. I even heared of people getting their
tank infected as a result of an addition. I believe in keeping my
diesel-fuel completely free of water. Every pumpstation delivers fuel
with a bit of water due to condensation in it's tanks. Bacteria live
in this water in the dieseltank. On the border of water/diesel they
feed on the diesel-oil. So, when I remove all water, bacteria can't
live in my tank.

I fitted an extra fuel-hose on the very lowest point of my tank. This
hose is connected to a 12-v automobile fuel pump, after that a Racall
fuelfilter, connected backwards, so the fuel comes in the water-
separator first. That way I can see (if any) the contamination in the
glass bowl, even before it cloggs up the fine x-micron fuel filter and
remains invisible.

From the exit of the fuel filter the hose goes back in the top of the
tank. What did I accomplish for 45 euro's: a means to filter
circularly the contents of my tank resulting in: a water free contents
where bacteria can't even start to grow. I don't filter constantly. I
filter a few hours a month, a bit more often in fall and winter cause
that's when condensation is heavy in my aluminum tank and room for
humid air is expanding due to the use of diesel-oil for my central
heating.

Len
S/v Present