Butch Davis

Sorta agree with the others. Additives are generally not useful.

Having said that, a biocide can save you some serious problems. I've seen
diesel fuel contaminated by "grass" and the resulting fuel system problems.
It's not a pretty sight.

As suggested, contact Cummins and get a qualified opinion.

Butch
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:54:43 -0400, DSK wrote:

Tamaroak wrote:
I'm going to take my Cummins turbo-diesel powered trawler on the Great
Loop next summer, meaning I will be in some warm places where things
might grow in my tanks. I also read all sorts of ads indicating I need
stuff in my fuel to clean injectors, increase cetane, clean carbon,
reduce wear, increase mileage, etc.

Is any of this true? What do I really need to add to my fuel?

The best guys to ask would be the engineers at Cummins. A turbo diesel
is a little more sensitive than the old fashioned heavy haulers.

My own theory (and experience so far bears this out) that good storage
practice & good filtering prevent any problems. One of the key
differences between diesel & gasoline is that gas is a solvent, diesel
is a lubricant. If you add biocide, you're just negating some of the
natural properties of the fuel and putting crud in it that your engine
won't like.

If you add other magic potions that "break up" impurities in the fuel so
that it goes thru youor filters, then it goes thru your injector pump &
injectors... and they won't like it. Sur eit saves the work of changing
the filters, but which is more work & money, changing filters or
rebuilding injector pumps & replacing injectors?

We're plannning on doing the Loop in a few years. Should be a lot of fun!

I agree with Doug on this one, although I confess I don't own a marine
diesel - truck currently and a truck and turbo diesel tractor which
didn't see a lot of use a few years ago.

The only "additive" I use is a Cetane booster which improves my
mileage in my truck (7.3 International Turbo Ford F-250) and I used it
in my International Turbo Diesel Super M when I owned it.

Oddly, I never noticed any bio buildup in the tractor tank even when
it sat still for eight months one time for various reasons.