Matt Colie

Default Battery Life question

Jeff,
The first question I would try to answer if a client approached me with
this situation would be - are the two batteries strapped together or are
they charged separately. The typical answer is that are strapped
(hardwired) together.

If they are, separate them, check them out, then try to charge them back
to max SG (probably 1.270 but check the battery and temp)

It is very hard to get two batteries that are in parrallel to both fully
charge.

You can also get a line powered device that will de-sulpate the plates
to some extent, but with out doing a two hour chemistry lesson, it is
tough to explain.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/ will lead you to a whole lot more than I
feel like writing.

Matt Colie www.yachtek.com
"Free answers to simple questions"

Messing In Boats wrote:
I've got a two year old house bank of two Group 27B's. (the 27B's are
supposed to be a little bit better than a plain Group 27) Last summer
they seemed to loose their ability to keep my refrigerator and anchor
light working as long as they used to and I'm wondering if they are shot
or not. They have gotten a lot of use these last two years, so I won't
whine too much if they are gone, but I would hate to replace them if
they aren't.

How do I check this out?

Is there some way to de-sulpher the plates or something to re-energize
them and save me a $130 trip to Sam's Club?

Capt. Jeff