Ed Edelenbos

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

DO NOT use luan or gorilla glue if you value your life in your
homebuilt boat.

Don't know about gorilla glue. I've no complaint with the plastic resin
(urea formaldehyde) or polyurethane (PL Premuim) glues (more properly
adhesives). The painted (no resin coating) Dogskiff I made in 1999 out of
lauan underlayment got its first fibreglass delamination patch, about a
foot long adn 6" wide, this season. The boat is stored indoors in the
garage when not in use. It was used often up until this year when I've not
been able to get out on the water much. For the money and time put into
the boat it has paid for itself well. I'd expect to get another few years
out of it.

My luann/gorilla glue boat projects are both holding up fine. I had to
paint them again this year. They are stored outside and upside down when
not in use. I put a couple slabs of treated wood under them or set them on
top of plastic boats to avoid ground contact. One is my daughters kayak...
I put more faith in it than my life depending on it, the life of my kid
(though she wears a life jacket at ALL TIMES). A home built boat is only as
good as they are built/maintained/inspected.

Ed