Calif Bill

Default Can someone explain this?

"CCred68046" wrote in message
I was reading a website from a manufacturer of all welded aluminum boats.
There is a warning on the site that says:

"DO NOT GROUND YOUR ELECTRICAL WIRING DIRECTLY TO YOUR BOAT. Direct

electrical
contact on the boat will break down the weakest point of the aluminum and

cause
holes in the boat. This is especially important if you are a SAL****ER

Boater.
This is called ELECTROLYSIS and is not a defect in workmanship or

material."

How could you avoid this? The motor is bolted directly to the metal

transom
and is grounded, there is contact there. I checked my aluminum boat with

a VOM
and there is definately continuity between the boat and the motor. Whats

the
difference in letting the motor ground to the boat and not the wiring?

What am
I missing here?

The amount of current the boat hull carries. I can get a ground from the
hull, but I run a large wire to a terminal block with ground and power.