ASG

I like that one Doug... and it does get mighty exciting when you crawl
onto your first sand bank let alone a rock...

I am amazed at the number of people I meet who can=B4t REMEMBER how to
take a fix and plot their position on a paper chart. We all learn these
things, but without practice, it=B4s rather pointless. When you need it,
you=B4re probably going to have so many distractions that you won=B4t
remember what you=B4re doing in time to dodge the island... These things
need to be instinct, and the best way is to run your =B4manual=B4
charting and DR alongside your GPS and electronic plotter. This keeps
you practiced and makes for an interesting comparison between charts.
In southern Chile and Argentina, some of our charts are off by as much
as 2 nmiles. And those are the paper charts (believe me, the
electronics are worse).

..=2E.guess I should get off my soapbox now and go practice some running
fixes now.... ; )