I've towed a 2000+ pound boat with a '95 and a '01 Pathfinder
no sweat for lotsa miles. But mine has a stick (slush boxes
suck). If I had an automatic it would have a BIG tranny oil
cooler. Do it.

Yes, the manual can tow heavier weight than the auto -- everything
being equal.

Are you sure about those numbers? My recollection is that all
the automatic PFs were at least 3500 as they came off the boat,
some for 5000.

I get the 2500 max trailing weight number (for auto) directly from
Owner Manual of my 1996 PathFinder -- I am sure about this. The 3500
number seems to be for manual shift if I remember this correctly. The
5000 number seems to be for auto that has transmission oil cooler.

Pre-1996 model of PathFinder had lower max trailing weight limit if I
remember this correctly.

I don't know anything about the latest model of PathFinder. The new
ones "probably" have higher max trailing capability than the old ones.

But even if your numbers are low, I'd still put the tranny oil
cooler on. They are cheap, esp if you can do the install
yourself.

You are quite right. This is what I intend to do. Thanks for the info.

Jay Chan