Jack Erbes

Kees Verruijt wrote:

snip
What would happen if I transmit on AIS that I'm USS Enterprise with 100
fighter planes???

The pirates would already know the following from AIS:

# Ship's position.
# Ship's name.
# Call sign.
# MMSI number for tracking.
# Speed, course, and heading.
# Navigational status.
# Type of ship.
# Position sensor indication.
# Antenna location.
# Rate of turn.
# Rudder angle.
# Vessel's maximum draught.
# Air draught.
# Ship's length and breadth.
# Angle of heel.
# Angle of roll.
# List of ports of call.
# List of hazardous cargo.

I guess if the pirates wanted to take you on it would be their choice,
you would be a nice prize if they pulled it off a takeover. But it
would be like an ant trying to rape an elephant.

Navy vessels maintain a very thorough surface plot down in CIC. They
are tracking the location projected course, CPA, etc., on everything
that shows up on a number of different passive and active sensors. Hard
to sneak up on them.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)