JIMinFL

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:19:55 GMT, "JIMinFL"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

JIMinFL wrote:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ness-headlines

After a couple of years of boom town price hikes and 3% rent increases,
buyers can no longer afford to service the debt or would be reluctant
to tie up that sort of cash for such a paltry return.

Isn't that what the guy said in the first sentence of his article.

Up in the Northeast they are seeing record setting housing prices.

Not really. The market has changed considerably from the premium
prices they were getting - like 5% over asking price, but with respect
to actual value, there hasn't been a significant change.

Housing starts are way down.

Not in my town. We are 7% up from this same time last year.

Housing sales are off.

That's true for existing single family houses, but not in crippling
sense - houses in my town used to sell in one to two weeks closing in
30 to 45 days. Currently, it takes about 30 days for the first offer,
closing in 45 to 90 days.

Curiously we're seeing a change in the multi-family market and a lot
of property swapping going on. For instance, we might swap a property
with another comparable property owner to get out from under the
rental agreement to provide heating - new owners, new contract.

Taxes are going up.

That certainly is true. Unfortunately, comparable increase in
services isn't occurring at the same time.

Little is being done to improve the inferstructure.

Not in Connecticut - we've got more highway improvements going on than
you can shake a stick at. Locally, we've just finished a project to
chip seal all the roads in town - took three years and we're back on a
regular maintenance schedule, rebuilt two roads and there is one to
go.

They have a democratic legislature, and puritainistic town governments.

The first is true, but I'm not sure what you mean by the second.

The technology highway is crumbling.

How so?

Because of all of this, there is a negative population growth in at least
one New England state.

It's probably Connecticut, but that may be for different reasons
including relocations due to mid-level management changes and changes
in the business sector. I'm curious as to which one it is.

Oh! I forgot to mention the weather.

Nothing wrong with the weather - just wait five minutes and it will
change.

Hopefully it hasn't yet gotten that bad up where you live. Cut your losses
and come on down while you can. The timing isn't going to get any better.
Oh, by the way bring lots of money with you. You can't make a living on
wages down here.

Too hot.

Tom,
Puritanical- By that I mean a lot of towns are run by people that are afraid
to mess with tradition. They want things to stay the way they are. Blue laws
for example. How hard was it to get them changed?
Technology highway- This was the east coast version of Silicon Valley. There
isn't much left there any more.
Take care of the shoulder.
JIMinFL